In a joint effort between the government institutions responsible of biodiversity and protected area monitoring and management, and a consortium of NGOs with experience in São Tomé and Príncipe terrestrial and marine ecosystems led by BirdLife International, with support of Fauna & Flora International and Fundação Principe, we are looking for a consultant to set-up a national Spatial Monitoring and Reporting Tool: SMART Conservation tools for São Tomé and Príncipe (STP), that can be implemented to monitor and regularly report on conservation of terrestrial and marine protected areas and ecosystems in the country.
The consultancy will include to:
- Build on literature and available experts’ knowledge, develop, pilot and adapt a SMART data model and associated tools for STP, including well-thought conservation areas, biodiversity, threats and data capture procedures to support patrolling in both ecosystems,
- Set-up of local equipment and the development/update of monitoring protocol for the responsible entities according to pre-defined mandates
- Build capacity of relevant stakeholders for implementation of the SMART tools.
The main duties and deliverables are:
- Opening workshops, led by the consultant, to gather data and formulate recommendations for the data model for STP based on stakeholders’ inputs
- SMART Data Model for STP
- Pilot protocols and data collection adapted to each selected conservation area
- Installation of SMART tools on stakeholders’ equipment
- Training Plan for each relevant actors and mandates
- Initial training of ‘trainers’ for data collection and management
- Final report including long-term viability assessment
- Closing restitution workshop
Qualified candidates must submit their application in English or Portuguese language to [email protected], including the following documents:
- Technical & Financial Proposals (2 distinct documents, in EUR) to implement the assignment, including timeframe and detailed costing per deliverable.
- Detailed Curriculum Vitae of expert(s) involved.
- Facultative: examples of other works led by the expert(s), e.g. SMART set up in other countries.
Successful as well as unsuccessful bidders will be informed by e-mail as soon as possible after the submission date.
See full Terms of References for more details on the consultancy opportunity: