Position description & application information here: https://www.islandconservation.org/gis-data-science-specialist/.
This is a full-time position based remotely with full benefits with preference for a new team member located near project sites in Chile, Peru, New Zealand, Micronesia, Polynesia, Hawaii, or Puerto Rico. Salary will be commensurate with experience and geographic location of the applicant. This position includes both desktop-based and fieldwork and requires an understanding of the physical demands and unpredictability of fieldwork. The position requires extended travel (approximately 25% of time) to remote field locations and a willingness to live and work in camping-like conditions with few amenities for periods of 4 to 6 weeks away from the home duty station.
This person will:
- Carry out and provide support to scientists designing data collection, data analysis, and interpretation of complex datasets to enable data-driven decisions;
- Manage acquisition, collection, analysis, and troubleshooting of GPS, GIS, and remotely sensed data to make decisions in fast-paced, remote field environments;
- Compile and analyze data collected from fieldwork and other projects and summarize data in reports, documents, presentations, or other methods;
- Develop, maintain, and query spatial and informational databases for scientific analysis;
- Apply spatial analysis, programming, and remote sensing-based methods to answer scientific questions;
- Support the development and application of devices, models, pipelines and other technologies to reduce the cost and improve the efficiency of conservation projects;
- Maintain organizational GIS data, software licensing, and data and GIS-related computing resources;
- Support field-based team members in building competencies in GIS and data management;
- Produce visually compelling data visualizations and succinct data analysis summaries for fundraising, grant proposals, internal activities, and communications products.
- Bachelor’s degree in Data Science, Computer Science, Natural Science, or similar technical field.
- At least one year of GIS and/or data science experience.
- Ability to perform efficiently under physically demanding conditions, including walking daily on rough footing with a backpack. Able to live harmoniously in small groups in remote field camps and to troubleshoot project solutions with the materials on hand.
- Experience managing and analyzing complex datasets and databases
- Experience using R for scientific computing and analysis
- Experience with database management, including Microsoft Access, including data entry and query development.
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills, flexibility, and a willingness to learn.
- Sufficient written and verbal communication skills and the ability to successfully collaborate with colleagues from diverse geographic and technical/non-technical backgrounds.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to work independently and as part of a team, and the ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and approachability.
- Valid Driver’s License and willingness to obtain a Passport upon hiring.
- Experience consulting on scientific projects or working within a scientific team.
- Knowledge of Python and SQL programming for automating data analysis and database management.
- Knowledge of using online versioned repositories for code (e.g., Github)
- Experience with remote sensing analyses related to population estimates and ecosystem change detection
- Applied experience in building and using machine learning and modeling pipelines (e,g, MegaDetector)
- Experience collaborating meaningfully with indigenous or other under-represented communities and non-traditional conservation partners with diverse interests and perspectives.
- Familiarity with applied field work in conservation, invasive species management and biosecurity, wildlife management, ecology, forestry, marine biology or similar
- Experience operating drones for survey or conservation work
- Additional foreign language skills (e.g., French, Spanish).