September Meetup: Gaming for Conservation Impact, Thursday 29th Sept

Topic: Internet of Elephants - Gaming for massive conservation impact

Date: Thursday, 29th September

Time: 10-12 (talk and discussion from 10:30)

Location: Room 3.41, The David Attenborough Building, Cambridge

Our next gathering of the informal Cambridge Conservation Tech Coffee + Cake group is going to be this Thursday 29th September, from 10am -12 noon in room 3.41 of the David Attenborough Building. Anyone is welcome to join us! 

The first 20 minutes or so will be fairly informal, a chance to mingle and meet other people who are working in the conservation tech space here in Cambridge. We'll then gather and hear from Chris Sandbrook (@csandbrook ) and Rafael Mares about a project they're both involved in: Internet of Elephants. 

For those who were at our very first meetup back in January, you might remember Chris Sandbrook sharing his interest in gaming for conservation, and specifically asking for help bringing to life a long held idea (shared with Bill Adams) about using live animal movement data to power an app or game in which players could race wild animals. As it turned out, another WILDLABS.NET member Gautam Shah (@mygshah ) had been hard at work on a similar idea with Internet of Elephants.

Chris, Bill and Gautam are now collaborating and have been joined by a growing team which now includes Raff, who is responsible for managing the wildlife movement data that underpins the game. They are currently building the first versions of their prototypes, and are looking to invite early users to play and provide feedback. 

Chris and Raff are going to share with us the background to the project, where they are now at with the prototype, what they are planning in the next stages of the project, and how you can help. I also imagine the discussion will touch on the question of how games can result in conservation impact on the ground, and it will be interesting to hear Raff and Chris' thoughts on this. 

If you are going to come along, it would be helpful for planning purposes if you send me an rsvp – just reply to thread or drop me an email at [email protected]

I look forward to hearing more from Chris and Raff, and to catching up with everyone later this week! 

Steph