Adventure Scientists is excited to be accepting applications for their new role of Scientific Director.
The Scientific Director will co-develop and implement study designs alongside project partners and other staff members, report on and publish our work in scientific journals, oversee data integrity and quality control measures, liaise with the Scientific Advisory Board, and provide counsel on all scientific engagements of the organization. They will manage relationships with all scientific partners, lead the project team staff, and oversee all active projects, ensuring that the organization remains at the forefront of research-quality data collection.
About Adventure Scientists
Adventure Scientists is a dynamic 501(c)3 nonprofit organization that works with diverse partnersincluding Harvard Medical School, World Resources Institute, National Geographic, and the US ForestService to equip them with data collected from the outdoors that are crucial to addressingenvironmental and human health challenges. Our projects have ranged from amassing the largestdataset documenting global microplastic pollution to collecting scat samples to aid in identifying thegenetic origins of antibiotic resistance. We now are seeking an esteemed member of the scientificcommunity to join our senior leadership team and oversee active projects.
The Scientific Director manages relationships with all scientific partners at Adventure Scientists. Thisposition leads the project team staff and oversees all active projects, ensuring that the organizationremains at the forefront of research-quality data collection. The Scientific Director also co-develops andimplements study designs alongside project partners and other staff members, reports on and publishesour work in scientific journals, oversees data integrity and quality control measures, liaises with theScientific Advisory Board, and provides counsel on all scientific engagements of the organization.
As a member of the senior leadership team the Scientific Director contributes to organizational strategy, reports to the Executive Director, and works closely with the other senior leadership team members to implement the organizational vision, foster donor partners, and serve as a role model for our team members.
Adventure Scientists is looking for a creative, forward-thinking, and adaptive individual with a strong research background. The ideal candidate will have experience managing staff and leading multiple research endeavors. Experience working with volunteers to complete research-quality data collection is greatly preferred as is strong experience in the outdoors. A successful candidate will employ their passion, drive, and scientific expertise to position Adventure Scientists as a leader in data collection across fields.
- Manage and sustain relationships with university, agency, business and other NGO partners
- Supervise projects team staff (4-12 people) and mentor the team to achieve strategic goals
- Provide scientific oversight across portfolio of ~10 projects, from project development to project closure
- Develop study design and protocols alongside our partners to achieve the highest level of data integrity
- Publish peer-reviewed articles at least 1x/year
- Research, adapt, and institute the most effective strategies related to data integrity across related disciplines
- Serve on the senior leadership team and assist the Executive Director in developing long-term strategic plans that meet organizational goals and strategies
- Foster relationships with donor partners as a representative of the organization
- Serve as a representative for Adventure Scientists by presenting at conferences, participating in events, and promoting the organization
- Foster relationships and manage our Science Advisory Board
- PhD in natural sciences, wildlife ecology, or related scientific fields
- Proven experience managing staff
- Experience working with volunteers
- Strong scientific communication skills both written and verbal, including ability to present in front of large audiences and convey complex scientific concepts to the public
- Firm grasp of data collection, management, and analysis technologies/techniques
- Experience working with environmental NGOs and/or government agencies
- Outdoor skills/experience in backpacking, hiking, etc. in remote environments
- Demonstrated creative problem-solving abilities
- Passion, creativity, organization, flexibility, and confidence conducting a wide variety of tasks in a fast-paced and dynamic office environment
- Demonstrated excellence in organizational, managerial, and interpersonal skills
- Desire to join and foster the growth of a dynamic nonprofit organization
Work Schedule & Compensation
This is a full-time position based at Adventure Scientists’ headquarters in Bozeman, MT. Start date is spring 2019. Occasional work on weekends or at night as well as national and international travel should also be expected.
Compensation: We are proud to offer a competitive annual salary of $75,000. Benefits include generous PTO, healthcare, IRA matching, powder days, flexible schedule, personal development opportunities, a dog-friendly office, and frequent staff outdoor adventures.
Please apply by submitting the requested information and materials via the online form at https://www.adventurescientists.org/scientific-director-application#form
Applications are due Feb 8, 2019.
Additional applications may be reviewed on a rolling basis thereafter.
Adventure Scientists is committed to providing an equal employment opportunity for all applicants andto ensuring a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. Our employment decisions are based on our business needs, job requirements, and individual qualifications, without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, family or parental status, disability, age, national origin, or any otherprotected status. We sincerely welcome people of all identities, backgrounds, and experiences to apply.