Join the conservation technology innovators at Conservify as a freelance Statistician. In this position, you will perform the vital role of assuring quality and accuracy of data on a developing open-source software and hardware sensor platform, the Fieldkit. This new platform is aimed at making conservation more accessible and affordable for a wider community through a revolutionary blend of scientific data, storytelling, and social media.
Conservify (Conservify.org) is an open conservation technology firm that empowers conservationists and communities to tackle environmental challenges by lowering the barrier to entry for effective conservation. Through the development of new accessible technology built to disrupt the current market, Conservify is breaking new ground in the democratization of conservation activities and data.
As part of their mission to build an “open conservation” community, Conservify is currently developing an innovative new product called FieldKit, due to launch in 2020. The product is an open-source software and hardware sensor platform that optimizes data collection and sharing from the field. The product will be low cost and easy to use, and will bridge the gap between hard science and storytelling by facilitating data storytelling through engaging visualizations and built-in connections to social media. The first of its kind in the conservation space, it has the potential to revolutionize conservation technology.
Conservify is seeking a hands-on Statistician with a solid theoretical statistics background and strong in-lab practical skills to help us validate the quality and accuracy of data on the FieldKit platform. The ideal candidate is skilled at independently executing the overall experimental process, and documenting and interpreting the results.
They are a proactive problem-solver with excellent communication skills and attention to detail. They are careful to account for the smallest detail, while extrapolating findings to understand the big picture. They must have a passion for conservation technology, and engaging an enthusiastic open source community.
If you meet the below criteria and want to see your work impact positively on the environment and our planet’s natural treasures, then we want to speak with you. We value a diversity of backgrounds and expertise so if you’re confident in your ability to do the job, then we encourage you to apply.
Position is accepting applications now until filled.
- Attend meetings and analyze client research and literature.
- Conduct best-practice quality assurance to validate the quality and accuracy of data, as compared to research grade competitors.
- Write up and interpret the results.
- Report to the Tech Lead and Product Owner.
- Solid theoretical statistics background (e.g. having taken at least mathematical statistics courses at an advanced level and a graduate level probability course).
- Understanding of fundamental principles of probability, statistics, and computing.
- Familiar with software such as R or SPSS.
- Experience with the processes of software and hardware development, and fabrication.
- Understanding of analytical methods regarding environmental sensor data.
To apply for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and relevant writing samples to [email protected]
More job information from Conservify can be found here.
How are you using Open Source software in your work? We'd like to hear about it in our Open Source Solutions community!