Earthwatch is recruiting an experienced Full Stack Developer to research and develop innovative software solutions. As our Full Stack Developer, you will work in Earthwatch’s Science, Policy and Innovation team on a range of projects that develop innovative approaches and a diverse array of evaluation-tools.
Deadline: Due to the immediate nature of this role we will be screening and interviewing suitable candidates as they apply, so we would advise you to submit your application as early as possible.
Location: Oxford, UK, with occasional travel
Reports to: Senior Research Lead - Innovation
Direct reports: None
Contract: Open-ended or PhD placement fixed-term
Deadline for application: Due to the immediate nature of this role we will be screening and interviewing suitable candidates as they apply, so we would advise you to submit your application as early as possible
Earthwatch is recruiting an experienced Full Stack Developer to research and develop innovative software solutions. As our Full Stack Developer, you will work in Earthwatch’s Science, Policy and Innovation team on a range of projects that develop innovative approaches and a diverse array of evaluation-tools. This is an exciting opportunity for someone who combines strong software-development skills with a background and/or interest in the environment and impact assessment.
Earthwatch is an international environmental organisation. Our mission is to engage people in scientific field research and education to promote the understanding and action necessary for a sustainable environment. We do this by creating knowledge and inspiring action through hands-on science and environmental engagement. We address big environmental challenges by working together with governments, individuals, communities and organisations. We aim to create a global community that values and nurtures a sustainable planet.
Applicants must have the right to work in the UK; Earthwatch is unable to support visa applications.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
This role is expected to:
- Explore innovative approaches to design, develop and deliver high quality tools (frameworks, guidelines, recommendations and applications) and systems that exceed end-user expectations;
- Implement (in a variety of software languages) knowledge-based systems for impact assessment, and information-visualisation interfaces for a range of end-users.
- Contribute to a range of projects but focus mainly on front and back-end design and development of the MICS toolbox and platform – tools
This role will be part of a wider team, both internally and externally, and will be able to contribute to innovation over and above project work. Key deliverables are:
- To lead the technical aspects of specific projects and actively participate in all stages of project lifecycles.
- To refine the technical specifications for an online toolbox of impact assessment metrics and instruments, in close collaboration with the wider Earthwatch team and international project partners.
- To successfully design, develop and validate the toolbox based on the defined specifications and conceptual framework, maintaining a focus on end-user experience.
- To deliver prototypes of the complete integrated solution, including components developed by other partners, into one single system that can be accessed by end-users.
- Resolve defects/bugs during QA testing, pre-production, production, and post-release patches
- To develop and prototype (testing with end-users, taking their feedback into account) front-end platforms, including data visualisation, mapping and interactive functionalities, adhering to the FAIR principles.
- To work with international partners to ensure the development of the prototypes of the platform, on which the toolbox will run.
- To lead the review process of the developed toolbox and to integrate feedback into the iterative design and delivery, continuously striving to improve the end product.
- To document all development in detail using formal scientific language, potentially contributing to scientific publications.
- To update job knowledge by studying state-of-the-art development tools & techniques
- To contribute to wider organisational priorities as required.
- To contribute to knowledge sharing within Earthwatch, helping the organisation as a whole to innovate.
The above list of job deliverables is not exclusive or exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake tasks as may reasonably be expected within the scope of the post.
- Suitably qualified software engineer (at least to undergraduate degree level – software engineering/computer science degree) with a background in technology development and flexibility to work in any programming language (either through existing knowledge or by being able to quickly learn appropriate languages)
- 2-5 years professional experience, including real world application development experience and/or contribution to open source software projects
- Listening skills, fully understanding end-user needs and perspectives and able to translate these into technical specifications and/or code
- Skills and experience in design, innovation, creativity and problem-solving
- Broad operational knowledge in 21st Century IT (Cloud, Social, Mobility, Big Data…)
- Office and team working experience – particularly in virtual teams internationally
- Flexible, self-motivated and goal-oriented with a clear, methodical and structured approach to work
- Proven ability to deliver software and documentation to a high standard, on time and within budget
- Written and spoken fluency in English
- Commitment to the mission and values of Earthwatch
Our full Candidate Privacy Notice can be found here: www.earthwatch.org.uk/candidate-privacy-notice
Visit the original job post to apply.
Interested in this role? Join our software and mobile apps group to discover other projects that could use your skills.