The Woods Hole Research Center (WHRC) seeks an experienced scientific computing lead to manage its public and private cloud resources. The successful candidate will work closely with WHRC scientists to optimize their processing workflows. Applications are due October 31, 2018.
Location: Woods Hole, Massachusetts
Classification and Compensation: This is a full-time, salaried, exempt position. WHRC offers a competitive salary as well as a very generous benefits package.
Desired Start Date: November, 2018
Application Deadline: October 31, 2018 or until filled.
This is not your typical technical position. This role is integral to WHRC’s mission of investigating the causes and effects of climate change. The ideal candidate will have passions for both high-performance computing and climate solutions. Time away from the desk to travel for workshops and scientific field expeditions will be an integral and rewarding part of this position. Building a close relationship with scientific teams will be paramount to success.
- Provide technical leadership and training to all staff.
- Work closely with scientific teams to streamline scientific computing workflows for cloud computing environments.
- Design, develop, and deliver scalable data management and processing architectures.
- Optimize and support our existing private cloud agreement.
- Manage our public cloud billing and resource usage at the project level.
- Identify technology gaps/risks and establish mitigation strategies.
- Generate metrics to facilitate an understanding of computational strategies and efficiency.
- Maintain and optimize custom software stack.
- Setup, training, and orientation for new users.
- Write tutorials and lead training sessions on programming and data management best practices.
- Attend workshops, conferences, and scientific field expeditions to build further expertise as well as rapport with scientific staff.
- Remain up to date with cutting-edge methods and proactively work to implement them at WHRC.
Desired Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information technology, or other quantitative field.
- 5 or more years of relevant experience, ideally in a scientific computing environment.
- Ability to design informative and accessible technical training materials.
- Proven deep technical background including Linux administration.
- Ability to work in a demanding environment with minimal supervision.
- Strong track record of implementing cloud-based processing techniques.
- Administration experience with Azure, AWS, Google Cloud or one of the other major IaaS providers. Google Cloud Platform preferred.
- A passion for data science including knowledge of at least one high-level programming language. Python and/or R are preferred.
- Familiarity with database usage and basic administration tasks. PostgreSQL preferred.
- Experience leveraging established distributed computing frameworks such as Apache Spark and Hadoop.
- Experience handling large volumes of spatiotemporal data.
To apply, please email your cover letter, curriculum vitae, and contact information for three references to this address. Please type “SCL18” in the subject line. The original position listing can be found here.
Woods Hole Research Center is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to not discriminate against any applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, marital status, genetic information, disability or because he or she is a protected veteran.
If you're interested in this role, why not join our Software and Mobile Apps group?