BiodiversityCo is looking for a data scientist who holds a degree in Computer science/Physics and has extensive experience in handling large datasets. The data scientist will support the analysis of collected environmental data,using machine learning, to convert the data into biodiversity measures that will inform monitoring efforts. This role is ideal for someone who is passionate about data and is seeking to find holistic solutions to nature and the climate crisis.
This is a exciting role in a VC-backed start-up and a great opportunity to bring your expertise and knowledge to shape and start to grow the business.
The field of biodiversity measurement and monitoring is currently very manual and relies heavily on human experts on the ground to assess the state of the nature that is there. Over the past few years, autonomous robotics and machine learning have advanced rapidly, and the paradigm for the collection of biodiversity data is ready for change.
We are looking for someone to analyse data from a range of optical and acoustic sensors as we start work monitoring our first pilot sites and help us convert this data into biodiversity measures, e.g., species abundance and richness.
About the role
This role can be full-time or part-time. Either is possible and we can be flexible.
We will be deploying imaging-equipped drones, bioacoustics, and other sensors to collect data on pilot sites. These pilot sites are degraded forests, new agroforestry systems, or areas set aside for rewilding. The data we collect will be analysed with the help of machine learning, and ecosystem-specific experts.
Your role will include helping us analyse this data, prepare it for ML annotation, and visualise the results.
You will love this job if you are someone who is passionate about data and about finding real, novel solutions to the nature and climate crises.
The team is multidisciplinary, integrating the knowledge of ecologists, mathematicians, data scientists, and sensor folk, so in order to bring your skills to the table, sufficient experience and maturity to work with some autonomy is essential.
Skills/experience you need
- Degree computer science/physics
- Extensive experience in handling, analysing and modelling image data
- Extensive experience handling large data sets
- Experience with computer vision systems
- Coding skills for data analysis e.g. Python, R, Matlab
- Ability to communicate complex concepts and solutions
- Strong data visualisation skills
- Strong, creative problem solving skills
- Minimum 2/3 years of work experience
- A graduate degree is desirable
- Experience with GIS systems could be helpful
What you get
- An attractive compensation and benefits package.
- A culture based on fairness, trust, collaboration, individual wellbeing and recognition.
- Colleagues who care about nature and are about the real world impact of their work.
BiodiversityCo is a VC-backed start up focussed on biodiversity, based in Cambridge, UK but operating as a remote-first company. We are helping to build an economy that puts nature and business in balance - by incentivising the regeneration of biodiversity at scale. Restoring nature is important and our work will be carried out with integrity, excellence, intellectual honesty, and accountability.
We are currently in stealth mode but if you would like more information prior to applying please email Cameron ([email protected]).
Join our community's acoustic monitoring group to follow the latest discussions on this interesting topic.