PR Statistics is hosting a 5-day practical course on applying bioacoustics to answer ecological questions. Attendees will gain the capacity to set up and deploy recording devices, download acoustic data, analyse this data, and report the results.
Location: Glasgow, Scotland (PR Statistics head office)
Dates: 1 July 2019 - 5 July 2019
Cost: £275.00 - £480.00 (see details below)
This course is suitable for anyone working with bioacoustics from those in academia, conservation biologists and persons in industry and government.
- Availability – 30 places
- Duration – 5 days
- Contact hours – Approx. 35 hours
- ECT’s – Equal to 3 ECT’s
- Language – English
We offer COURSE ONLY and ACCOMMODATION PACKAGES;
- COURSE ONLY – Includes lunch and refreshments.
- ACCOMMODATION PACKAGE (to be purchased in addition to the course only option) – Includes breakfast, lunch, welcome dinner Monday evening, farewell dinner Thursday evening, refreshments and accommodation. Self-catering facilities are available in the accommodation. Accommodation is approximately a 6-minute walk from the PR statistics head office. Accommodation is multiple occupancy (max 3-4 people) single sex en-suite rooms. Arrival Sunday 30th June (after 5pm) and departure Friday 5th July (accommodation must be vacated by 9am).
There will be morning lectures based on the modules outlined in the course timetable. In the afternoon there will be practicals based on the topics covered that morning. Data sets for computer practicals will be provided by the instructors, but participants are welcome to bring their own data.
- Assumed quantitative knowledge: A basic understanding of statistical concepts. Specifically, generalised linear regression models, statistical significance, hypothesis testing.
- Assumed computer background: Familiarity with R. Ability to import/export data, manipulate data frames, fit basic statistical models & generate simple exploratory and diagnostic plots.
- Equipment and software requirements: A laptop/personal computer with a working version or R and RStudio installed. R and RStudio are supported by both PC and MAC and can be downloaded for free by following these links: for R and for RStudio.
It is essential that you come with all necessary software and packages already installed (you will be sent a list of packages prior to the course) internet access may not always be available.
If you are unsure about suitability please ask Oliver Hooker.
For a full course programme, testimonials, and registration, please see the course page.
Join the Acoustic Monitoring group to connect with others working in this space.