The Western Indian Ocean Marine Science Association (WIOMSA), the Institute of Marine Science (IMS) and the Department of Aquatic Sciences and Fisheries (DASF) [both of the University of Dar es Salaam] and the Tanzania Fisheries Institute (TAFIRI) are pleased to announce the Tenth WIOMSA Scientific Symposium which will be held in Dar es Salaam from October 30th to November 4th 2017.
Monday, October 30th – Saturday, November 4th 2017.
The week is divided into the following components:
- The Tenth WIOMSA Scientific Symposium – October 30th to November 1st, 2017. This component will include: keynote presentations, oral and poster presentations
- Specially convened sessions and roundtable discussions - November 2nd, 2017
- WIOMSA General Assembly – November 3rd, 2017
- Excursions and tours to different places of interest – November 4th, 2017.
Dar es Salaam, Tanzania
The symposium will bring together practitioners, academics, researchers and students to share knowledge, experience and solutions to the challenges experienced in our coastal and marine environment. The specific objectives of the symposium are to:
- Present current knowledge on disciplines related to the theme of the symposium
- Provide a forum for discussion and exchange of information and experiences on coastal and marine science issues in the western Indian Ocean region
- Promote interaction among social and natural scientists in order to strengthen multi- and transdisciplinary research for sustainable management of the coastal and marine environment
- Identify gaps and priority research areas for improved management of the coastal and marine environment of the western Indian Ocean region.
Contributions from all relevant scientific disciplines are welcome at this multidisciplinary symposium.
Call for Abstracts:
- Abstracts are invited on any topic related to the coastal and marine environment of the WIO region. Priority will be given to multi-/trans-/interdisciplinary abstracts
- Abstracts must be in English as that will be the official language of the symposium. The abstract should not exceed 300 words
- Submitted abstracts must contain the following information: title, name(s) of author(s), affiliations, postal and e-mail addresses. It should also clearly state the preferred mode of presentation (oral or poster). Abstracts must be in Times New Roman, 12-point font, single-spaced with justified alignment. Abstracts should provide a brief statement of the problem, the methodology, the results and the conclusion. The abstract should be submitted in plain text only without the inclusion of tables, graphs, images, etc
- All abstracts will be reviewed for merit and relevance. Abstracts must be received by WIOMSA by no later than 28th April 2017. Confirmation of acceptance for oral or poster presentations will be communicated to authors by 15th July 2017. Abstracts should be submitted via online via http://abstract.wiomsa.org/
A limited number of travel grants will be provided to participants from the region whose abstracts have been accepted. Students from the region, whose abstracts have been accepted, will be given special consideration. Applications for the travel grants should indicate details of the support required and should be submitted by 31st July 2017 to [email protected]
A registration fee of USD $200 for non WIOMSA members, USD $150 for WIOMSA members and USD $100 for students will be charged to help cover some of the costs of the symposium.
Space will be available for exhibits by organizations, programmes, projects and commercial companies. Please contact the WIOMSA secretariat ([email protected]) for more details.
- Deadline for submission of abstracts - April 28th, 2017
- Notification of abstracts acceptance July 15th, 2017
- Deadline for application of travel grants July 31st, 2017
- Deadline for confirmation by institutions wishing to participate in the exhibition opportunities August 31st, 2017