OceanTeacher Global Academy is hosting a training in Ocean Data Management during the first week of December in Belgium. This course is designed for researchers at the post-graduate level and provides a comprehensive introduction to a variety of marine datasets and formats, as well as the use of software for synthesis and analysis of marine data. Applications are due 15 October 2018.
Course dates: 3–7 December, 2018
Course Venue: UNESCO/IOC Project Office for IODE, Oostende, BELGIUM
Instructors: Dr. Lilian Krug, Dr. Reiner Schlitzer, Mr. Greg Reed, Mr. Pieter Provoost, EDMODnet, and VLIZ Data Centre
Fees: No tuition fee applies. Both full- and co-sponsoring are available for a limited number of participants. For detailed information check the OceanTeacher website.
Application Period: 10 September – 15 October 2018
Aims and Objectives
- Provide an introduction to the use of software for synthesis and analysis of marine data
- Introduction to the FAIR Guiding Principles for scientific data management and stewardship
- Understand best practice for management and analysis of marine data
The learning outcomes of this course include:
- Knowledge and understanding of the importance of management of ocean data
- Experience in the use of data analysis and visualization tools
- Recognize the importance of good research data management practice
- Awareness of European based marine research projects and data repositories
The target audience includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Researchers engaged in oceanographic studies
- Ocean and coastal data managers
- Staff of marine research institutes and universities
NOTE: Priority will be given to participants originating from Europe and North African countries. UNESCO is committed to promoting gender equality. Therefore, applications from women are strongly encouraged.
- Candidates should be preferably working in institutions responsible for the collection and management of oceanographic data;
- Good working knowledge of English
- Participants should bring their own laptop
A Certificate of Participation will be issued to all successful students.
Before starting to fill out the online application form, please make sure to have the following available:
- a motivation statement (text file) of maximum 300 words;
- your passport number or, in case you are a national of the host country a valid identification/citizen card can be used instead of the passport;
- a scan of the endorsement letter (in case you are asking for funding)
- link to your profile on OceanExpert (www.oceanexpert.net); if you don't have one make sure you create one in advance.
The deadline to submit the application closes 15 October 2018. Do not leave for the last minute, since the system will close automatically. If you have any questions please contact the organisers well in advance.
In case of questions, please contact:
OTGA Secretariat via email, always indicating as subject 'OTGA Training Course: Ocean Data Management for Researchers, 3 – 7 December 2018, Oostende, Belgium'
The UNESCO/IOC Project Office for IODE is certified as a Learning Services Provider (ISO 29990:2010).
The OceanTeacher Global Academy is a Project of IOC/IODE supported by the Flanders-UNESCO Trust Fund (FUST) of the Government of Flanders, Belgium.
Join our marine conservation group to connect with other researchers working with marine datasets.